Gold HRP SB 4.0
4/17/15 Manistee, MI
John J & Todd B.
Piecing Together an April Early Season Brown
1. sweet spot in speed for me has been 2.4-2.6 on the
GPS SOG (speed over ground). Know of
others trolling faster to 3.0-3.2, but that has not worked for me
2. all my early season hits have been on various shades of the hyper
holographic lure tape,
like what's my Super Silver Bullet flashers.
3. lead length off my planer boards has been 110'-120' for trolling on the
4. gold and copper hyper holo has been head and shoulders over other
colors for Browns on my boat.
5. water temp on the beach was 37-41 for the first 2 weeks in April 2015.
Warmed up to 46-47 on 1/17/15.
6. line used is mono 15# test for April Browns on the beach.
7. weight 5' in front of spoons has been 3/8 and 1/2 ounce bead chain keel
sinkers purchased of eBay.
8. Mamba patterns are leading the hit parade accounting for 75% of my
9. Changed out my size-1 9650 VMC trebles to the light wire version of
this same round bend hook, the 9649 and never missed a hit after I did.
Not recommended for Kings/Salmon, cuz 9649s will bend. Reason for
the swap is we were using a larger dual boards, not inlines.
Hooking a fish is harder this way. There's nothing stationary to
force enough pressure for hook penetration.
This page will be an ongoing log documenting Salmon
Buster™ tips and tricks. With my spoons being brand new, sharing
should get us all off to a good start!
Presently, everything is still in the learning stages
that shows great promise for April shoreline trolling. It took me
some time to get off the stick-bait bandwagon after using size 11
floater Rapalas for a good 30 some odd years. Now I'm a believer, after
running Salmon Busters™ vs. Rapalas in controlled experiment when my
spoons took fish, while the Rapalas rode.
Biggest issue we had in Manistee, MI in April 2015 was debris in the
water that often fouled lures. With the water being up ....shore
erosion dumped in loads of grass and roots into our side of Lk. MI.
Best testament to success with
my tackle is when fishermen reorder more spoons.
Here's what Troy P in MI had to
say, "This is my second order. I liked the first order (caught really
nice king using Manistee Mojo), so I am placing a second order. Hopefully
there aren't any new spoons not yet on the website I am missing out on.
HRP 4.0 SBs
4/6/15 Ludington, MI
Test Puke SB 4.0
Grand Haven, MI
King Midas Mamba