Sea Ray 1979 Reborn Page 3
steel bird poles, rebuilt the existing rod rack on the hardtop with SS
steel. Cut wedge to anchor kicker control box more securely.
Washed the headliner under the hardtop, cleaned up like almost new
condition. Re-did safety chains from trailer to truck. Cleaned
the interior windows. Remounted fish box carrier on the transom with
thru SS bolts with a thorough caulk job. I can see the light at the
end of the tunnel, if
Worked on bird holders. UPS brought me my new Sea Star Hydraulic
6/14/07 Plan is to mount the rear hydraulic piston/cylinder to drive the tiller arm of the Mercruiser outdrive. Prime the helm and have all steering issues behind me. Next will be mounting the rigger board, down riggers and rod holders. Need to trim 1 1/2" of the hardtop rod holder setup. Mounted the control box (shift & throttle) for the kicker in it's final position after careful thought.
Run the hydraulic lines and connected the rear steer cylinder. Bled
the air out the lines, much like brakes on your auto. This boat now
steers with one finger with the main engine turned off. Even
transferring steering from the outdrive to the kicker is totally unforced
and one finger will do the job!
6/16/07 Completed/installed the rigger board, riggers, extra rod holders, bird rod holders, and a 8 rod holder hardtop mounted rocket launcher. Semi got the idea of how to lay out my new electronics for fingertip access. I purchased a Lowrance X515c DF for sonar & the matching 5200c GPS. I'm no fan of combo units, but understand many do not have the dashboard room. Having a separate units, means "if and when" one needs to go to the electronics hospital, you're not out of totally out of business. I was hesitant to go with Lowrance (because of past poor designs), but I heard Simrad was involved with them now. Simrad makes good stuff. Still lots to do, but I'm on the downhill side of this project. This is the time when all the work seems more than worth it and this vessel is starting to stand tall!
Today just installed the new transducer from the Lowrance X515c
DF. The new sonar going on Project Sea Ray 1979 is what I'd call mid
level (under 500 dollars). While it has all the features of more
expensive, this unit only has a 5" diagonal screen. With a
smaller view screen it is essential this unit be place in an easy to see
place....and from all angles. For an additional 12 bucks I ordered
2 swivel mounts from www.tigergps.com.
The extra one will go underneath for Global Map 5200c GPS unit (under
500 dollars too). Being able to turn these will help everyone on
board. Was going to go overhead, off the hardtop, or I might have
to build a special adaptive platform to keep the electronics in the
6/20/07 Worked on laying out and installing the new electronics package for Project SR 1979. The helm is now complete with easy to read and operate sonar and GPS. I had to plate the top of the control panel with a 7 by 24 inch piece of 3/4" plywood for best viewing angles. Also, I installed swivel bases (6 bucks each) for being able to turn and view the electronics with the situation warrants. Whew, the electronics are finally done!
6/21/07 Replaced the power trim/tilt pump that was giving me problems. Screwed the center section of the floor down. Put the refrigerator door back on. The floor and fridge door had to be removed for inspection the fuel lines and an added fuel shut off switch at the outlet of the gas tank. Tomorrow morning, I have some loose electronic GPS & sonar wires that need attending to, then we're going to splash Project SR 1979 in Manistee Lake it's first sea trial. Should be done with most everything and be fishing during the last week of June.
Installed the new rear upper panels underneath the transom/rigger
area. Thru bolted the bird holder rack, so under heavy strain the
7/8 SS rod will not turn. Ran the new wiring for updated
electronics in shipshape fashion. Wired the downriggers with inline
fuses at the battery even though there's a 6 amp circuit breaker on Big
Project SR 1979 got wet today, as this boat underwent it's first sea trail
on Manistee Lake in Stronach, MI. I did find some things wrong that
are in need of fixing before I fish this boat. Mainly, the blower
switch fuse holder to evacuate fumes in the engine compartment needs
replacing above all else! 15 hp four stroke was quiet and performed
up to expectations Hydraulic steering I installed worked like a
dream, this was an unproven expensive upgrade. Biggest problem was
getting the GPS figured out. Like all overdone electronics nowadays,
it has far more features than I'll ever use. Ran the Lowrance
X515c DF sonar unit in 50 KHZ and the Eagle sonar that came with the boat
on 200 KHZ and had no interference problems. The boat tops out at 32
mph around 4000 rpms, which is good for an extreme deep vee hull. No
hull in the 22' range that is presently made is cut this hard and that's
one of the reason I chose this vessel.
Got caught up in a rush of orders this
week and hadn't had much time to complete Project SR 1979 until
today. Installed the finished new motor box and tied up all the
loose ends in the transom area. Basically, this boat is almost hit
to hit the drink in quest of some Mr. Kings. Need to pack the boat
with tackle and that began this evening. Have some work to do on
rigging up a temporary planer board tag line to get me by until the budget
allows for BJ electric planer board reels. In the future, the plan
is to share what I have in this boat. Showing you where each dollar
went, and on what. Pretty sure the next update will be showing you
at least one fish!
Before July this project will complete it's refit history and begin to writing a new book on what a resurrected older boat can do on our Great Lakes. I've enjoyed sharing this running commentary with you immensely. Taking an older boat in need of updates has been a sheer pleasure. Rigging a boat to your personal whims is one of the best things about our style of fishing!